Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Worldwide Circle of Sisterhood

In Relief Society today, we had the pleasure of hearing a lesson given by Sister Lindy Allen on Chapter 6 in the Daughters in My Kingdom manual.  Sister Allen began by explaining that when the Prophet Joseph Smith met with the Relief Society sisters in Nauvoo, he taught them that "in addition to giving temporal service, they were to strengthen people spiritually (pg. 83)."  This is what is so important about the Relief Society.  As a group of sisters we are to band together and to provide others with temporal help and strength but also spiritual strength to get through life's trials.  "Relief Society has become a shelter from the world-a place of refuge- and a center of light to the world- a place of influence (pg. 83)."  


We have the responsibility as members of this church to help save souls.  This is not a small task and can sound and be overwhelming, however, Sister Allen pointed out that throughout this chapter it was the small and simple acts and things that really helped to make a difference.  If we have faith and are kind, show and do good works, and have kind word uplifting words, we can influence others for good.  


Sister Allen read us a story from a talk called "Awake, Arise, and Come Unto Christ" by Sheri Dew.  The story begins: 



"One Saturday afternoon, I was scheduled to fly from Albany, New York to JFK 
International in New York City, and then home. I had plenty of time to connect at JFK— 
until the Albany flight was delayed more than an hour. By the time we finally landed at 
JFK and taxied to the tarmac where that little puddle jumper parked, I had four minutes to 
make my connection. I knew it was pointless, but I had the feeling I should at least try. 
So I grabbed my luggage and began running, heels and all, through a maze of 
construction cones, up two flights of stairs, and onto the concourse, dodging mothers 
pushing strollers as I ran. 

With no time left, I spotted my gate, saw them closing the door to the jet-way, and yelled, 
“Don’t close that door!” The gate agent looked up, saw a middle-aged missile barreling 
towards him, laughed, and pulled the door back open. It is not possible to change planes 
at JFK in four minutes. But I did.  

Now for the rest of the story. About midway through the flight home, I suddenly realized 
a man was kneeling next to my seat. (I’ve waited a long time for a man to kneel next to 
me.) He explained that he and his wife had been on vacation when they learned that her 
mother had died. 

“My wife is so sad,” he said. Would you just talk with her?” As she and I talked, I 
realized we had a lot in common. I had been in a hotel room far away when I learned my 
brother had died. We spoke of losing loved ones without saying good-bye, and of the 
healing balm of the Savior. 

I doubt the Lord cared at all that day about my schedule. But He cared about a grieving 
daughter. That’s why He gave me the airport miracle—for her, not for me. My airplane 
friend wrote later to say that our conversation had been an important turning point for 
her. At the time, I had no idea what that visit meant to her, nor how the Lord used it to 
teach her something significant about Him, but then, we rarely understand how the Lord 
uses us. "

The Lord does care about the small things in our life.  Not only did He bless Sister Dew by being about to catch her flight but the women whom Sister Dew talked to was also blessed.  The Lord is truly mindful of our every care and concern.  As Relief Society sisters we must be in tune with the spirit to be instruments in the Lord's hands to help those in need.  

During the mid 1900's the world suffered from wars and distruction.  Physical walls like the Iron Curtain and Berlin Wall were put up to restrict some people and exclude others.  "In contrast, Relief Society sisters built spiritual walls of refuge designed to protect and include.  They came together in a worldwide circle of sisterhood and invited others to join them (pg. 84)."  

Sister Allen went on to tell a story by Boyd K. Packer when in 1980, he visited the country of Czechoslovakia:

"In 1980, President Boyd K. Packer of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and his wife, Donna, visited a Relief Society in Czechoslovakia (now the Czech Republic and Slovakia). He later recalled:

“It was not easy to obtain visas, and we used great care so as not to jeopardize the safety and well-being of our members, who for generations had struggled to keep their faith alive under conditions of unspeakable oppression.
“The most memorable meeting was held in an upper room. The blinds were drawn. Even at night, those attending came at different times, one from one direction and one from another, so as to not call attention to themselves.
“There were in attendance 12 sisters. We sang the hymns of Zion from songbooks—words without music—printed more than 50 years before. [A lesson] was reverently given from the pages of a handmade manual. …
“I told those sisters that they belonged to the largest and by all measure the greatest women’s organization on earth. I quoted the Prophet Joseph Smith when he and the Brethren organized the Relief Society. …
“The Spirit was there. The lovely sister who had conducted with gentility and reverence wept openly.
“I told them that upon our return I was assigned to speak at a Relief Society conference; could I deliver a message from them? Several of them made notes; each expression, every one, was in the spirit of giving—not of asking for anything. I shall never forget what one sister wrote: ‘A small circle of sisters send their own hearts and thoughts to all the sisters and begs the Lord to help us go forward.’
“Those words, circle of sisters, inspired me. I could see them standing in a circle that reached beyond that room and circled the world.”3
Recalling that meeting, President Packer said, “I stood, for a moment, in that circle and felt the impulses of faith and courage and love coming and going on either side (pg. 84-84)"
President Howard W. Hunter states, "You are chosen to be faithful women of God in our day, to stand above pettiness, gossip, selfishness, lewdness, and all other forms of ungodliness.  Recognize your divine birthright as daughters of our Heavenly Father (pg. 85)."  I know that we all face the challenges of some of these things but if we rise above them we can stand as true witnesses of Jesus Christ.  Sister Allen gave another great quote from Sister Dew, we are to "influence the world (and not be) influenced by the world."  
Sister Allen, gave a great story about an object lesson she participated in at girl's camp a few years back.  She said that all the girls had a candle and had to walk through the woods at night together to get to a clearing.  Once they got to the clearing there was one match present and once the match was lit, only one candle was lighted.  The girls were to then pass the light down towards each other from that one match.  As one candle passed the light to another the flame shone bright and once all the candles were lit the whole clearing was shinning bright.  This is example of how as a whole, we as sisters can bring so much light and goodness to the world.  However, even just one candle was able to provide a lot of light but all together much good and light is given.  
Henry B. Eyring states, "You pass the heritage along as you help others receive the gift of charity in their hearts.  They will then be able to pass it to others.  The history of Relief Society is recorded in words and numbers, but the heritage is passed heart to heart (pg. 86)."  
Sisters, I urge you to read this whole chapter in the manuel.  It was such a wonderful lesson with much insight into the purpose and teachings of the Relief Society and how we as daughters of God and sisters can and are such a huge influence for good in an ever changing world.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for being out there in the blog world. I am teaching this lesson next week and I appreciate hearing what about the lesson was important to you.

    ReplyDelete